DOD was started in 2011 by husband and wife, Shawn and Alisa Johnson, after they ran into their own obstacles while trying to find a way to keep their dog and fulfill their military commitments. (Read full story here) Since then, DOD has successfully place over 500 military owned pets into foster care. AND:
- Have awarded over $15,000 in financial aid to military members to help with pet care during times of hardship or emergency.
- They help active duty, veterans and Wounded Warriors.
- Assist all branches of the Armed Forces.
- They are open to all animals (not just dogs!)
- Promote awareness for the benefits of service dogs for those suffering with PTS.
- Advocate standardized military pet policies.
- Promote lifelong companionship between owners and their pets.