Monday, August 12, 2013

Pretzel shaped dog treats

 I found this recipe on Babble and decided to give it a try. I did one alteration: I substituted water for the chicken stock. I make my own chicken stock and was wary of giving it to a dog, because I put quite a bit of onion and garlic in it....and a lot of salt. The substitute did not seem to affect the results.


 
The Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. skim milk powder
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. water
2 tbsp. olive oil
sesame seeds for sprinkles

 Next, I gathered my helpers......

 .... and we mixed everything together. I like to mix all the dry ingredients before I add the wet ingredients. Once, the mixture starts to stick together and becomes hard to stir, I use my hands to form it into a ball (think play-doh). We let our dough ball sit for ten minutes....












Then, we rolled out long logs and shaped them into pretzels!!! It took a little practice to figure out how thick and long the log should be in order to get the right sized pretzel and shape. Once shaped and on the pan, they got sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
 Bake at 350-degrees F. for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven, leaving the pretzels inside as it cools. This will help them harden.

 Done!!
Try them on an unsuspecting dog that performs tricks for food (she LOVED them!).....


The End!!

No comments:

Post a Comment