Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Chocolate" Chip Cookies

One of my favorite cookies can also be eaten by my dog! We share. These cookies are vegan, gluten free and have carob chips in them.... and I really don't feel all that guilty if I eat half the batch in one day. In fact, I have been known to give them to my (human) kids for lunch. Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 5/8 c. of natural peanut butter (usually I just "guesstimate" on this measurement)... and yes, using the natural peanut butter does work better than Skippy of Jiff for some reason.
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking powder 
  • 1/2 c. of carob chips (as I human, I prefer CHOCOLATE chips. But if you want to share with your dog, use carob chips because chocolate is poisonous to our four-legged friends.)
All you have to do is blend the ingredients (minus the carob chips) in a blender:

The peanut butter has not been added in, yet! I usually heat the honey and peanut butter up for about 10 sec. in the microwave before I blend.

 Stir in the carob chips:


And spoon onto a baking sheet (no need to grease it):


Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes:



I should warn you, when you eat them you will not think "OMG! These taste EXACTLY like a chocolate chip cookie." Because they don't, they have chickpeas in them!!! BUT, they are delicious. I like them better when they are warm. IF you happen to have leftovers the next day, just microwave them! My (human) kids love them warm or cold and don't realize they are eating something healthy. Shhhhh.... don't tell them! My dogs don't really care whether it's healthy or not... they just think I am awesome! AND... Honey has almost the same health benefits to your dog as it does for you (Google it)! But, don't over do it when feeding your dogs honey. It's a sugar and extra calories.1 tsp of honey a day (or less) should suffice. And last, like human babies, honey should not be fed to puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment