Friday, October 3, 2014

Sun-Dried Tomatoes= Pizza Dog Treats

It's that time of year when ALL the tomatoes come in at once. I've made spaghetti sauce, I've canned, I've made salsa, I've done pretty much anything and everything you might be able to do to a tomato and I still have more. So, I decided to try to "sun-dry" them in the oven. Usually, my experiments in the kitchen turn into absolute disasters, but these actually turned out! And, it's a relatively painless procedure that involves a lot of wait time.

Preheat the oven to 200-degrees, cut up your tomatoes and de-seed them by gently pressing the seeds out of the pockets with your thumb. Then, sprinkle with salt, add a bit of cut up fresh basil and bake...for about 8-hours. The result....

Sun-dried tomatoes that don't have that weird funky taste like some store bought! It's been about three-weeks since I made mine. I put them in a jar and they are still looking good!

After I made my sun-dried tomatoes, I started to reminisce about my childhood. My parents owned a Pizza Parlor that my sisters and I worked at throughout our teenage years. We had most of our biggest, epic fights in the back of that restaurant. My parents eventually had to schedule us on different shifts for fear of scaring the customers away. What can I say, that's the price you have to pay when you are raising three headstrong girls that all want to be leaders!

One of those memories was about raising Golden Retriever puppies. We had a huge litter of them and it happened to be around Fourth of July. The small town we grew up in had a parade every year, so we decided to advertise our Pizza Parlor AND our puppies by marching down the street with a wagon full of little PUPperoni's pizza's. It was the cutest thing ever!

In memory of those little PUPperoni's, I made pizza dog treats this week. I got the recipe off of Cottage Market. They turned out pretty good. The only change I made was using cheddar cheese, because that's what I had in the fridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment