Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Pumpkin Spice Sorbet



I found this recipe on The Gracious Pantry and decided to give it a go for myself and my four-legged family members. I did alter the recipe, because the recipe on "The Gracious Pantry" had some ingredients toxic to dogs. If you are making it for your dog, please use the recipe below! The original recipe calls it "Ice Cream", but I beg to differ. It is more of a sorbet, since none of the ingredients even remotely resemble anything creamy or dairy like. I doubt my dogs care whether or not it is correctly termed "ice cream" or "sorbet". But let me tell you, if you go into eating this thinking you are getting a creamy dessert, you will be disappointed. None the less, it is a delicious treat that can be put into a bowl, cone or Kong.
This recipe is really simple and healthier than conventional ice cream. Below the recipe, I have outline the health benefits of some of the ingredients:



  • 4 bananas
  • 1 cup pumpkin Puree
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (The original recipe called for pumpkin spice. Pumpkin Spice contains nutmeg which is considered a toxin for your dog.)
~ Using a food processor, blend all of the ingredients. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 24-hours.~

That's it! That's all you need to do. Pretty simple, eh?

Maple Syrup   Maple syrup is rich in Manganese, zinc and natural antioxidants. It also has a lower Glycemic Index than regular sugar which means it will be absorbed into your body at a slower rate. You're less likely to get that sugar high. But, we must keep in mind that sugar is sugar and should be an occasional treat for your dog.

 Pumpkin  helps with digestion, urinary health and weight loss. Keep in mind, you DO NOT want to give your dog canned pumpkin PIE filling. It has sugar and spices that are not so good for them. Instead, opt for 100% canned pumpkin.

Cinnamon has a long list of health benefits. To list a few, it's an anti-inflammatory, increases brain activity, stimulates appetite and is anti-microbial.

Bananas are a great source of Potassium.

 All in all, the recipe was "Ok" for me (because I like ice cream!), but the dogs' absolutely loved it. If I were to make it again, I would probably freeze it in something cute like a silicone ice mold in the shape of a heart, bone or paw print. This would allow me to A) be super crafty and B) have single servings for the furry ones that I can just pop out and serve. To put it into a Kong, I would soften up the frozen mixture in order to scoop it and stuff into a Kong. A Kong would no doubt last longer than a silicone mold shape, but it would be a larger serving of a sugary treat for your canine friend. Doing it the "Kong way" would definitely have to be an occasional treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment