Saturday, August 29, 2015

Pumpkin Spice Sorbet



I found this recipe on The Gracious Pantry and decided to give it a go for myself and my four-legged family members. The original recipe calls it "Ice Cream", but I beg to differ. It is more of a sorbet, since none of the ingredients even remotely resemble anything creamy or dairy like. I'm a stickler on this sort of thing, because I feel that if you go into making this recipe with the mind frame that it will be "ice creamy", you will be disappointed.

The last time I made an ice cream for my pets (and myself) was last SEPTEMBER. Yes, it's been that long. A homemade frozen treat was long over due in my household. This recipe is really simple:



  • 4 bananas
  • 1 cup pumpkin Puree
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (The original recipe called for pumpkin spice, but nutmeg is considered a poison for your dog.)
~ Using a food processor, blend all of the ingredients. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 24-hours.~

That's it! That's all you need to do. Pretty simple, eh? All of these ingredients are also healthy for your dog (and you):

Maple Syrup   Maple syrup is rich in Manganese, zinc and natural antioxidants. It also has a lower Glycemic Index than regular sugar which means it will be absorbed into your body at a slower rate. You're less likely to get that sugar high. But, we must keep in mind that sugar is sugar and should be an occasional treat for your dog.

 Pumpkin  helps with digestion, urinary health and weight loss. BUT, you do not want to give your dog canned pumpkin PIE filling. It has sugar and spices that are not so good for them.

Cinnamon has a long list of health benefits (Which I should probably write about). To list a few, it's an anti-inflammatory, increases brain activity, stimulates appetite and is anti-microbial.

Bananas are a great source of Potassium.

 All in all, the recipe was "Ok" for me, but the dogs' absolutely loved it. If I were to make it again, I would probably freeze it in something cute like a silicone ice mold in the shape of a heart, bone or paw print. This would allow me to A) be super crafty and B) have single servings for the furry ones that I can just pop out and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment